If you need help paying the rent, paying utilities or finding a new place to live there are various government agencies, non-profit organizations, and charities that may help you pay your rent or utilities or can help you find more affordable housing.

Local help may be found by calling 211.

Benefits.gov provides links to federal, state, and local government resources. Search by choosing your state and living assistance for the subcategory.

HUD.gov provides several resources:

You can also search using these terms:

  • [your city] rent assistance
  • [your city] housing assistance
  • [your city] social services

Once you find some possibilities, visit their websites. Determine if they offer the help you need. Beware of any organization that wants you to pay for their help.